Monday 25 June 2012

Is there such a place as 7th Heaven - I may have experienced it

Okmulgee, OK to Oklahoma City,OK 105 miles
I've not often arrived in a place where I immediately feel at home - today was such a place.
Left the motel at 7 on the Okmulgee highway and stopped at the Shell garage and the day already started well. Had incredible kind help from the owner, also obviously into bikes, who took time out about explaining the American way of airing tyres - he even got me a tyre gauge which I was already desperately in need for and for the miserly amount of 2 dollars! The best 2 dollars ever spent for one of my most valuable possessions of the trip. Now I can hopefully work those goddamn pumps without guessing.
Due to the early start I arrived at Rusty Gables farm just after 9 - time enough to explore. Wow what a place - a Colorado style wooden massive country home with acres of land and fields of quarter horses, and just me there.
I was immediately welcomed by Sam the incredibly kind owner and we ended up chatting for over 3 hours now knowing exactly what I would do today.
And the room to die for - large wood panelled room exquisitly furnished with western memorabilia.
And it didn't stop there- just down the road from the one place I had definitely wanted to visit on this trip - the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum - wow another wow - I've visited many art galleries all over the world but this was in the top - lucky to be visiting while showing the Prix De West exhibition and sale of the best in contemporary art - some beautiful pieces all averaging about 30 - 50 grand per piece! Let's play the lottery.
Wonderful with one of my favourite pieces I've always wanted to see - 'The end of the Trail' by James Earl Fraser, standing 18 feet high.
Returned back to the farm and went out food shopping with Sam to stock up on good healthy food - tick.
Chatted with him and his lovely partner Don all afternoon under the shade of the trees and parasol and then guess what?
Yes, went out riding with them and their beautiful award winning quarter horses through the most beautiful landscapes, green lush fields with grass the height of the horses and with spectacular wild flowers everywhere. Deer just stepping out from infront of us - sublime.
Both Sam and Don compete and have won at high levels with cups and yes even beautiful western saddles as prizes which are proudly displayed in their beautiful home. Thank you for such a wonderful First day here.
Things didn't stop there- ate out on the terrace in the warm evening with fireworks exploding overhead.
With a good glass of Californian Chardonnay in one hand and looking up at the stars, here's nighty night from one happy dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment